Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Drawing Animals: Basking Shark

I hope to make this a new weekly post, probably every Friday after this initial post or something like that. I like to draw in my spare time, and one fun thing I love to do is draw animals that are not often seen in artwork. I have difficulties finding time to draw during the semester and attending classes, so it often helps if I make myself draw.

For this regular item, I will be sketching some animal either with my tablet or using my other favorite tool: ballpoint pen on sketch paper. In all likelihood, I will more often be sketching in ballpoint and the digital sketches will not often involve color. For the future, feel free to give me suggestions as to which animal you would like to see me draw. I hope you enjoy my first animal: the basking shark (Cetorhinus maximus).

The basking shark, a large species which uses its gaping mouth and specialized gills to filter tiny organisms from the water. Image is copyright free from Wikimedia Commons

My interpretation

2 comments:

  1. Your post and drawing remind me that I once actually saw a basking shark. I was on a small whale watching boat out of Provincetown on Cape Cod, and this absolutely enormous animal was directly beneath our boat for the longest time. You could look off either side of the boat, and there it was. A frightening-looking, but harmless monster (unless you happen to be plankton, of course).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow! That must have been quite an experience. From what I've heard, it's really quite a stroke of luck to see one of these fascinating creatures.

    And no, I wouldn't want to be plankton around one of these guys!

    ReplyDelete